Which job to do first - sitting room re-furbishment
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
badger243
Labourer
Labourer

Which job to do first - sitting room re-furbishment

by badger243 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi,
I'm planning on tackling a long over due sitting room project.

I know that the walls and ceiiing need skimming, and I'd also like to remove the carpet and sand the floorboards.

I'm balancing the 'keeping the cost down newbie diyer' with actually wanting a good job to be done, so am happy to strip wall paper and paint once the plasterer has been in, but I really don't know whether to start with the floor or the walls/ceiling.

Also would it de advisable to have the floor sanded professionally?

All advice welcomed

Thank you

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:27 pm

badger243,
The plasterer will make one hell of a mess of the floor so get this done first. Floor sanding is fairly straightforward - drive all nails down, fix loose boards, hire the equipment and do it. Just make sure you have thick enough boards to sand especially if they are uneven.
end

Sheal
Apprentice
Apprentice

re: which job to do first.

by Sheal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:33 pm

You would probably find it best to work from the ceiling down. It's a good idea to get the wallpaper stripped before new plaster in case the walls need some work to. Leave your floor till last as this is where all the grime from preparation falls.

Have a go at tackling the floor sanding, there's not a lot you can do wrong there. If it doesn't work out then call somebody in.

rlm603
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Which job to do first - sitting room re-furbishment

by rlm603 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:38 am

Would you be interested in getting some help with your DIY?

If so, get in touch!

I am working for a Production company making a new Primetime show in which we help people with their DIY Disasters.

Anybody out there bitten off more than they can chew and have no idea how to finish?

Let me know....

gc9
Tradesman
Tradesman

by gc9 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Stoneyboy is right. The plasterer will most probably make a huge mess. Get the floor done first.

Building Accessories
Labourer
Labourer

by Building Accessories » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 pm

gc9 wrote:Stoneyboy is right. The plasterer will most probably make a huge mess. Get the floor done first.

I think what Stoneyboy meant was get the plasterer in first.
Tackle the skimming of the ceilings and walls first. Then, if you're repainting the walls, whilst the paint is drying in between coats, you can focus your attention on the floor. This will save time and minimise mess, since all the mess from the plasterer will fall onto your old carpet, which you can just throw away.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:55 pm