Which Joist Hanger?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jimpad
Labourer
Labourer

Which Joist Hanger?

by Jimpad » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:24 pm

Ive build a extension onto my house (4 x 8 meter), the existing an the new extension are both built using 9 ince cavity blocks, l want to have a bedroom upstairs in the new extension, so l am using 9 x 2 - 14 foot joists, what size of Hangers is best to use?. i am going to bolt (12 x 140mm anchor bolt) a 9x2 onto existing after cleaning away the plaster to get down to block work,
So my questions are which is the best size/type of hanger to use?
And dose anyone in there professional opinion see any mistakes in what lm doing?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:38 pm

For 9 x 2 joists you need 9 x 2 hangers. Click on the link below. The theory of what you are doing works but presumably you have building regulation approval for this extension. The building control officer will tell you if there is anything wrong with the way you plan to build.

http://www.awin1.com/pclick.php?p=483109&a=61071&m=1228

Jimpad
Labourer
Labourer

by Jimpad » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:57 pm

Na, this is a country job, no building inspector just the neighbours and family ready to tell you they knew that would happen "after" you made the mistake.
The hangers, that the experts! from the local Hardware store sent me don't have the holes up the side, so l can nail them onto the 9x2 lm bolting onto existing an they have a really big top lip with two big holes an two small holes an BAT 5N/mm2 inscribed.
All in all they are not the type lve used before, but then again the before happened in the states.
By the way thanks for the prompt reply.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:11 am

Country job or not Jim if you do not have the required permissions to add on to your home your home insurance may not be valid and when you come to sell the home you must be able to prove that you have permission to change it in any structural way. If you do not, the local authority, curteousy of the buyers surveyors report, have full rights to make you take it down again. The building regulations exist to make sure what you do is safe, for your own safety and the safety of those following you into the house. Its like a car MOT....Many think it uneccesary and something to be avoided but when your brakes fail and someone gets killed, its a little late.

Jimpad
Labourer
Labourer

by Jimpad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Right, l guess my last Post did sound like l was just building away without permission, l have got planning permission.
Thanks again for your replys

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:48 pm