Which plasterboard/insulation
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TomA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Which plasterboard/insulation

by TomA » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm currently planning the conversion of my existing basement into living space. As there is minimal damp at the moment and what little there is is probably due to the window being poorly boarded up I don't intend to tank the walls, just dry line and fit a sump/pump as an emergency measure.

Could anyone tell me what sort of plasterboard I should use for this as well as insulation and metal battons. I've tried to make sense of the British Gypsum website but no luck as there is too much choice!! Have seen foil backed board as well as paper backed which is moisture resistant, plus different boards for ceilings and walls.

A friend also told me about a board with tapered edges that does not require any skimming, is this correct? He mention Gyplyner...

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi,
I'd consider putting up polythene membrane before stud work, then once stud work is up metal stud okay. My choice would be kingspan between stud work then a moisture board.
You can get tapered edged boards which will need the joints to be taped using a nylon self-adhesive skrim tape. Then filled out and sanded down using a jointing compound (prefered choice easyfill) this may need two/three apllication. Then wall sealed with a primer pre-painting.
Gyplyner is a method of dry-wall installation and may be worth considering. I think it's more a fire resistant application, look it up on British Gypsum website have downloadable PDF's
Regards
KB

TomA
Apprentice
Apprentice

by TomA » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:15 am

Thanks for that, very useful.

For the plastic membrane do you use the same stuff as on the floor? And how do you fix it to the wall?

When you say filled out, what do you mean exactly?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:02 am

Hi,
you can buy rolls of the polythene from builders merchants tell them what you are doing and they will point you right direction. ideally you want to fix it buy screwing it in across top of wall, then down sides and tape up joints with good water resistant tape, get some rubber washers for screws to help keep moisture out.

The joint on the board should firstly have skrim/tape appilled then fill out joint in board 3-4" either side of joint so about 6-8" covering in total. be careful with first application so not to tear or damage tape. Leave this to dry then lightly sand down and fill out again this time covering about 10-12" of joint.
Dry and sand again untill smooth and leave. If not you will need to apply another coat of jointing compound then once a smooth and even. ready to seal with primer.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:38 pm