Which saw should I use
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
L&A
Apprentice
Apprentice

Which saw should I use

by L&A » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi, I am cutting the bottom off a pine exterior door and after reading your cutting timber project I am about to buy a new saw; but on looking I am confused about all the different types of saw are available. What do they do and which should I buy?

CHIPPY2158
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Which saw should I use

by CHIPPY2158 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:51 pm

[quote="L&A"]Hi, I am cutting the bottom off a pine exterior door and after reading your cutting timber project I am about to buy a new saw; but on looking I am confused about all the different types of saw are available. What do they do and which should I buy?[/quote]

when cutting the bottom of a door i always sit on across two timber benches cover with a old rag or even the plastic door cover to stop the benches marking the door! the i mark what needs to be cut off! then run a stanley knife along the line both sides to stop the cut from chipping on either face!
and you can cut it either by hand witch is what i prefer or use a circular saw! but depends on the thickness of the door ! some external doors can be 52mm plus thick! so if u by a circular make sure id cuts deep enfuff!

then plain the egde to remove tha harris and sand the cut! job jobbed hope that helps

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

your best bet is a circular saw - make sure you learn how to use it first! potentially a very dangerous machine. otherwise just do it with a normal hand saw.

too many saws out there to describe what they all do here! if you want to ask specific questions about specific machines i'd be happy to help.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:45 am