Which saw should I use

Postby L&A » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi, I am cutting the bottom off a pine exterior door and after reading your cutting timber project I am about to buy a new saw; but on looking I am confused about all the different types of saw are available. What do they do and which should I buy?
L&A
Progress to next rank:
42.1%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby CHIPPY2158 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:51 pm

[quote="L&A"]Hi, I am cutting the bottom off a pine exterior door and after reading your cutting timber project I am about to buy a new saw; but on looking I am confused about all the different types of saw are available. What do they do and which should I buy?[/quote]

when cutting the bottom of a door i always sit on across two timber benches cover with a old rag or even the plastic door cover to stop the benches marking the door! the i mark what needs to be cut off! then run a stanley knife along the line both sides to stop the cut from chipping on either face!
and you can cut it either by hand witch is what i prefer or use a circular saw! but depends on the thickness of the door ! some external doors can be 52mm plus thick! so if u by a circular make sure id cuts deep enfuff!

then plain the egde to remove tha harris and sand the cut! job jobbed hope that helps
CHIPPY2158
Progress to next rank:
47.4%

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 pm

your best bet is a circular saw - make sure you learn how to use it first! potentially a very dangerous machine. otherwise just do it with a normal hand saw.

too many saws out there to describe what they all do here! if you want to ask specific questions about specific machines i'd be happy to help.
chris_on_tour2002

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!