Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mtb
Apprentice
Apprentice

which solution is better?

by mtb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:54 am

Hello.

We're having some works done, including replacing a compromised floor between kitchen (below) and bathroom (above) on Victorian addition to a terraced house. The question of soundproofing between the two came up, and the contractor suggests that it's best to add 2 layers of sound board (with insulation in between) between exposed ceiling joists in the kitchen. He does not seem to be considering at all a layer on the bathroom floor (soundproofing mat or other acoustic underlay) below the wood floor finish, which seems to an untrained observer such as myself as the simpler solution. I have a preference for a layer on the floor above so as not to lose any ceiling height in the kitchen, but the main concern is to have good soundproofing.

Which of the two options is more effective (and which less expensive)? The suggestion to do both is clearly the most effective, but if one were to choose between the two, which would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice on this!

davver79
Labourer
Labourer

by davver79 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi, I'm in a similar situation - am interested to know if you found a resolution!?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

sound insulation

by welsh brickie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:32 pm

I would use insulation sound board on the ceiling if you lay soundproofing
on the floor it alters the height of the floor between different rooms so
its the cheaper option.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: sound insulation

by rosebery » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:20 am

mtb

If the conractor is suggesting between the exposed joists it seems to me that you will suffer no loss of height either way and whether he puts it between the joists before the ceiling goes up in the kitchen or between the
joists before the floorboards go down in the bathroom it will still be in the same place; ie between the joists.

Or have I misread what you are saying?

Cheers

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:11 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:30 am