which system would be best for my house?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rosey
Labourer
Labourer

which system would be best for my house?

by rosey » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:36 pm

Hi I've just moved into a very large victorian house (6 double bedrooms and 3 reception rooms) that currently has a back boiler and 5 old single radiators.
The house is too cold for my two young children and therefore I need to replace it.
I've had numerous Corgi registered companies round and everyone recommends different systems - combi, vented, unvented etc.
I want the cheapest system that will run two showers and one bath, along with about twelve large radiators. What is a reasonable cost for this kind of installation?
I would welcome peoples opinions about this as I don't know much about it. Thanks[/b]

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:36 am

Hi Rosey,

As we can't see your house and its poss probs - a stab in the dark-
Good combi plus rads etc poss £2500 - £3k +
I would have one shower on electric tho. Combi choice is heavily dependant on DHW requirements.

Hth

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:00 pm

How's your water pressure? If it's good, go for a combi, but a large one 30kw+. I'd have to agree with Steve though, one shower will have to be on electric as combis are not good at handling more than two things at once!

If you were feeling flush and your pressure is good, unvented is a great option as you get mains pressured hot water from every tap and a nice big tank to store litres of hot water. That means you could have the bath and both showers running at once! Expensive though.

The reason you will have had so many different quotes is that each installer has a certain deal he may be pushing at the time. Look for an installer with Part L (energy efficiency) of the building regs. These guys will factor in all aspects of your home and come to the most energy efficient solution.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1