Which to do first....extension or rewire?

Postby Urchin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello

We are shortly starting work on our extension, but a rewire is also long overdue on our property.
Which is recommended to do first? We have budget to do both so its just a case of organising them both.

I *think* it makes more sense to do the rewire first, then just add the extension's electrics onto it?
As I am no expert though, I thought it best to ask here here :lol:
Urchin
Progress to next rank:
26.3%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:08 am

Depends how big the extension is, what you can do is, rewire existing installation making provisions for the wiring of extension, ie cables routed between CU and extension(don't connect them to CU though, leave them dead)
KB
kbrownie

Postby Urchin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:47 am

hiya

Thanks for your reply. Its just a one-room extension so we will do as you suggested.

Cheers
Urchin
Progress to next rank:
26.3%

Postby moggy1968 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:07 pm

I'd agree, tell your leccie exactly what is planned and he can build it into the spec for the rewire, then get the conservatory done. Get the mess out the way before getting yourr nice new shiny conservatory!!
you wouldn't believe the mess a rewire can make, depending on how much chopping out is needed.
moggy1968
Progress to next rank:
98.7%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!