Which type of hinge on a home-made wardrobe
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuartcarr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Which type of hinge on a home-made wardrobe

by stuartcarr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm making a wardrobe using 15mm contiboard for the carcass and door. The wardrobe will be going in a corner where the right-hand side and door-edge will be unseen. The door will only need to open 90 degrees. I do not have a forstner bit and so cannot use concealed hinges. What type of hinge will be best, given the thickness of contiboard and the fact that the hinge will not be too obviously seen? The door will be approx 166 x 61cm. Advice please?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:28 pm

forstner bits are quite cheap and easily obtained, so why not use concealed hinges?

many advantages include that fact that they are, er, concealed and they are also very adjustable so you can fine tune the fit.

for a diy job using any other type of hinge is a bit of a one shot deal, little or no chance to adjust once hung so best be darned sure you've got it right before cutting or rebating of hinges.

HullDoItYourself
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Which type of hinge on a home-made wardrobe

by HullDoItYourself » Wed May 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Wouldn't 90 degree easy on hinges do the job for this?
+ you don't have to use a cup hole and most hinge holes require being 15mm deep!

Heres what a quick google got for me:
http://www.eurofitdirect.co.uk/easy-on-concealed-hinge?

It says the maximum door thickness is 18mm so you should be okay!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:44 am