White marks from walls (Don't seem to be waterproof).
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
richard102
Labourer
Labourer

White marks from walls (Don't seem to be waterproof).

by richard102 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:49 pm

I thought I'd help out my girlfriend by converting a large cupboard inside the front door into a coat-cupboard - so I put up a rail. But damp coats keep getting white marks off the walls. I tried washing the walls - lots of white came off - but it didn't help. The walls are white, matt, and I think plasterboard.

I asked in Wicks and they pointed me to (I think) plasterboard sealant, but I didn't want to spend £35 for a big bucket of the stuff. So I bought a small tub of PVA instead. Was this right? If yes how do I use it? Or should I just be pragmatic and buy paint?

thanks

richard

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:50 am

Is it paint or is it efflorescence?

If the former repaint with one that is a) washable and b) not chalky. Use a vinyl matte paint.

If the latter no plaster sealer won't do and neither will PVA. Brush (don't wash 'cos that will only make it worse) it all off and then paint with an anti-akaline primer. Allow to cure and overdecorate.

Cheers

richard102
Labourer
Labourer

'efflorescence'?

by richard102 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:38 pm

Don't really know about 'efflorescence'. After googling I think its a salty deposit left when cement dries. If so, then I don't think I have that (did I mention that I didn't need a drill and rawlplugs to put up the rail - just selftapping screws and my electric screwdriver).

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Also get it with plaster salts when plaster damp / wet.

Can you take a pic, host it on imageshack or photobucket and copy the link back here?

Cheers

richard102
Labourer
Labourer

by richard102 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Difficult to photo, just a uniformly white matt wall. BTW there's original fitted carpet in the bottom - so I'm sure there's never been a dampness issue (also is smells dry).

I think I should repaint.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:16 am