white mushroom type fungus growing through floorboards.
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tabond
Labourer
Labourer

white mushroom type fungus growing through floorboards.

by tabond » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:42 pm

That kind of says it all really. I though it smelt damp in my dining room for ages, but noone else thought anything of it. Now we've noticed this white fungus, bit like pancake mix, creeping through the cracks in a couple of the floorboards. There used to be a shower in that corner, and when it was removed we got some 'new' old floorboards from a salvage yard, so I'm wondering whether either a pipe was not sealed off properly when the old shower was taken out, or if the 'new' old floorboards were already damp.

Anyway, obviously we need to get an expert out to take a look but I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest what kind of damp it might be so I can do some research.

Thanks in advance.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

fungus

by welsh brickie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:28 pm

First thing to check is if you have a leaking pipe,with that much fungus it must be extremely damp.
next is not enough ventilation make sure all the air bricks are clear.
I would also replace the fungus covered floorboards,any spors growing in a room is bad for you health.

john9159
Ganger
Ganger

by john9159 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:14 pm

May I suggest you all decamp from the room and get ready to lift the floor boards?
This sounds a bit drastic but will inevitabely lead to more serious problems if not dealt with immediately. It sounds like Antrodia vaillanti which is a whitie fungus with fern like edging.
It is unlikely the "new" flooring is the cause as you would have probably noticed. All fungus (whether "wet" or "dry") is caused by wet conditions and it is probable that the appearance will be severe when you lift the flooring, this stuff sprads fast but can be controlled.
Once lifted, check the walls for water seepage from the old shower pipe (it may not have been capped properly) or for leaking pipes clipped to the joists which will also be affected.
If it is really bad, contact your insurer to see if you are covered.
If there are any external air bricks feeding ventilation to sub-floor levels, check if these are blocked. If there is no air brick, have one or two fitted, these are essential to keep all sub-floor timbers dry and will be the cause of the problem.

I wish I were there to see it!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:22 am