Why are my halogen downlighters cheaper on than off????
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dan1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why are my halogen downlighters cheaper on than off????

by dan1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:47 pm

My wife set up a British Gas monitor thingy to sit next to the one from our new solar panel which shows how much is being generated. I've noticed when I switch on 9 downlighters in the kitchen the power consumption drops by about 120w and jumps back up when they go off! I've checked this lots of times and am sure it's not a coincidence. Also I dont think it can be reading "back to front" (if that's possible) as it jumps up normally if I switch on the kettle etc.
I've noticed the halogen bulbs dont last long (replaced at least twice a year) Could there be some weird thing wrong with the transformer accounting for this apparent anomaly?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts. NB I have no expertise in electricity whatsoever
Dan

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Why are my halogen downlighters cheaper on than off????

by ericmark » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:04 pm

I have over the years seem a number of odd things for example using a welding set making meter go backwards. However in the main I think these problems have been corrected and it is very unlikely to happen any more.

First question is this the reading on your supply meter or is it from one of the clip on monitoring units? If the latter then one would suspect it's been fitted incorrectly.

Most the clip on units show kWh's and first would be to compare reading on proper meter and clip on monitor. It could be the set-up is not designed for micro-generation or some one has wired it up wrong.

As to life of halogen lamps 6 months is doing well I found when using tungsten lamps I replaced one a week which was why I moved to discharge lighting. I don't call it energy saving as don't think it saves energy as once changed the gas used went up.

EMC could be a problem and it could be that the inverter used with lights or even video could upset the grid-tie inverter that feeds your power back into the grid. But you need to read the proper meter not any clip on toy.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:31 am