Why does 6kw sauna heater blow rcd

Postby pstevdata » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi

I have just had an electrician fit a new consumer unit for me. This has a RCD and 32 amp fuse.

I have wired a 6kw sauna heater in to this and the heater unit comes on for about a couple of minutes and then the rcd trips out.

If left for a few minutes you can repeat the process but the heater will not stay on

Can anyone offer any suggestions.

Phil
pstevdata

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby TheDoctor4 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm. The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
TheDoctor4

Postby sparx » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi, if the heater has not been used before or for a long time, the elements which are hygroscopic will have become damp so causing the earth leakage problem.
A good electrician should know ways around this, such as wiring heater temporarily via a none RCD supply and leaving on for some time to drive moisture out.
There are other ways which should only be done under strictly controlled conditions which I will not go into on public forum as they are potentially dangerous in wrong hands but which will work.
Gonna have to get your part-p leckie back to help i'm afraid,
regards SPARX
sparx

Postby pstevdata » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:04 am

Thanks for the quick reply SPARX

I had read about the damp in the elements somewhere else on web. That is why I had persevered with turning on and leaving for a few minutes, but it doesn't appear to be generating enough heat to dry these out.

As you suggest they probably need to be dried throughly.

Really appreciate your advice.
pstevdata

Sort by
Order by