Why has my sheet vinyl floor seperated up in huge bubbles?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
evie
Labourer
Labourer

Why has my sheet vinyl floor seperated up in huge bubbles?

Post by evie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:37 pm

Hope someone else knows whats happened here.....I had a slow water leak in the kitchen which went on for some time. once discovered, we ripped up the old vinyl, let it dry and got a professional in to lay new sheet vinyl (an expensive one!) He came back a few times and eventually said it was dry enough to lay. Within a month, the vinyl seems to have seperated, so that we have a succession of huge bubbles (nearly a foot high!) around the room -but only the top of the vinyl has risen up, as the bubbles are very thin. The floor company say the vinyl is ruined and I'll have to pay for more -but suppose I do and it happens again?? it was really expensive.....and I'm worried as to the cause.Has anyone come across this before? If the floor is going to be damp longterm, should I go for something else as a covering? Thanks

alexpowers
Apprentice
Apprentice

might have a clue

Post by alexpowers » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi,
Did you heat the room in any way to dry out ?
Also how long did fitter leave concrete to dry before fitting flooring?
if force dried concrete dries out on top but not underneath, then the floor fitter suffocates the concrete with adhesive, the rest of the moisture finds the least resistance way out = through vinyl.
when the vinyl is made it adhered to a backer for stability this backer is more ridged and will tear rather than bubble hence the seperation.
If me rip up scrape adhesive away and leave to dry naturally month or so.
hope this helps :)

evie
Labourer
Labourer

Post by evie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:49 am

Thanks, that's good advice....I think I'll switch to ceramic tiles after letting the floor dry!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:34 pm