Why Should you Overlap a Closeboard Fence?
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mrbeatnik
Labourer
Labourer

Why Should you Overlap a Closeboard Fence?

Post by Mrbeatnik » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi folks,

I'll be embarking on a 2m x 9m fence build. We are generally looking at a closeboard self build.

My wife doesn't particularly like the overlap feather edge style, and would like vertical square sawn boards NOT overlapping.

I've searched around, but I can't find information on the benefit of overlapping, instead of just having the boards side by side.

I am aware of side by side board fencing (is there a special name for this?) … and typically it has 5mm gaps. This obviously reduces wind resistance... But can you have with no gaps, or would this create problems (maybe expanding wood)?

The guides here are great, so I have no problem getting the job done, but I really want sure on WHY you overlap compared to side by side.

Thanks.

thedoctor

Re: Why Should you Overlap a Closeboard Fence?

Post by thedoctor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:16 am

The overlap is both a visual and practical thing. Timber expands, contracts and warps for a passtime so overlaps ensure that each plank is fixed twice to reduce movement, maintain privacy and look good (in many peoples opinion).

Also the "planks" used for close-board are usually feather edged as you can see from this page. https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/closeboard.htm this would look very odd if they were not overlapped.T

To have a fence where timber planks were fixed side by side you would need to use uniformly squared timbers and increase their size to at least 20mm thick to avoid warping and expansion/contraction. This will increase the cost of the fence considerably.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:43 am