Widening a letterbox hole in a wooden door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lordbergkamp
Labourer
Labourer

Widening a letterbox hole in a wooden door

by lordbergkamp » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:45 am

I am trying to fit a new letterbox onto a wooden doorway. The door's 10 years old as is the letterbox and modern letterboxes seem to be a different size. The one I've bought is closest in size that I can find, but is still too big for the hole in the door. What's the best way of widening the hole by 15mm top and bottom? The bloke in the DIY shop said a wood rasp, but is there a better way?

Thanks! Appreciate any help that people can suggest.

dannypthechippy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Widening a letterbox hole in a wooden door

by dannypthechippy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:24 pm

lordbergkamp wrote:I am trying to fit a new letterbox onto a wooden doorway. The door's 10 years old as is the letterbox and modern letterboxes seem to be a different size. The one I've bought is closest in size that I can find, but is still too big for the hole in the door. What's the best way of widening the hole by 15mm top and bottom? The bloke in the DIY shop said a wood rasp, but is there a better way?

Thanks! Appreciate any help that people can suggest.

jigsaw with clean cut blade much quicker

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:37 pm

a wood rasp??!!?? it would take you a week to remove that much material! jigsaw will do it or alternatively a router if you have one.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:13 pm