Will Cooker Thats Been in Shed for 4 Years be Safe to use?
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Seanjenkinson
Labourer
Labourer

Will Cooker Thats Been in Shed for 4 Years be Safe to use?

Post by Seanjenkinson » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi new to the forums, but so glad i found this site, anyway my problem is that we have had a electric cooker stored in a out side shed for about 4 years, will it be safe to wire up in our kitchen, I am worried that it may of got damp at some point, I know it has not had water on it directly but just worried that damp may have got into the electrics and may not be safe to use, if anyone can give me some advice I would be great full thanks.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Will Cooker Thats Been in Shed for 4 Years be Safe to use?

Post by proptech » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:32 pm

HI

I would suggest that you get the cooker indoors as soon as possible. Then ask an electrician to run a safety test on it, and connect if OK.
An electrician will have the correct instruments to check it fully. It's probably OK, but don't take chances with a DIY install.

jamesfran19
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jamesfran19 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:10 am

There shouldn't be any problems, you will want to make sure by getting someone to check it first I reckon

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:12 am

The mineral insulation is Hygroscopic that is it attracts water. The ends of the elements are often not a perfect seal so any cooker where ever stored will over time have a tendency to draw in water.

As it heats up this water will likely first produce an earth fault then be driven off so once used once it will likely be OK again. However with RCD protection you may be unable to switch it on for that first drying procedure and it may require some special measures to be able to heat it for the first time to dry it all out.

CharlineCaisse
Labourer
Labourer

Post by CharlineCaisse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:06 pm

I would give it a good test before I eve let anybody bring it in. :)
Having a professional inspect it is always the best option. I there really hasn't been damp at all you should be more than fine

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am