WILL STORAGE HEATERS RUN OFF SOLAR POWER
Find help, tips and information on renewable energy sources such as solar, wind etc.... and also alternative energy & heating production.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
solar days
Labourer
Labourer

WILL STORAGE HEATERS RUN OFF SOLAR POWER

by solar days » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:37 am

I am thinking of having solar panels fitted, and also upgrading the heating system as well.I wondered if anybody could help, to answer the problem of solar panels powering the old classic Storage heaters, as i ask the solar energy consultants, and as of yet have no real answer if they will or will not, power them.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:48 am

Its all down to what power your panels can produce & what storage capacity you have. But personally i wouldn't bother as you would need such an array of panel's, battery's & inverters it would pay your electric bills for many years to come. (quality Insulation is the best money saver)

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:53 pm

When you need the heating most, it is dark and cold.
The power will never be there at the right time.
As mentioned elsewhere, spend your money and time on insulating.

As an experiment I insulated the ceiling of one of my bedrooms.
Three inches of polystyrene sheet between the joists and two inches below.
Two inches of polystyrene balls in the cavity.
An extra double glazed window, at eight inches, making quadruple glazing.
Venetian blinds between the windows.
One inch of polystyrene on the solid concrete floor covered with 18mm floating oriented strand board.

There is no heating in this room. For over a year it has registered between 19 and 23 degrees C with outside temperatures as low as minus 18c and as high as 30C. Most of the time its temperature is 20-21C.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:12 am