Window lintels
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
LMRose
Labourer
Labourer

Window lintels

Post by LMRose » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:36 pm

I have recently had new windows installed throughout the whole of my property. Since this I have had major water ingress above two of the windows (in rainy bad weather). I was told by the window company that they could not have caused any damage to the lintels and the cause of the damp is totally structural and not to do with them. Is this the case? I have been told by numerous builders and window companies that lintels above windows can be damaged when replacing windows so am slightly confused. Advice urgently needed as to whether replacing windows can damage lintels and cause the water ingress? This has only occurred since the replacement of the windows. There is no issue with the roof either as that was checked.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 pm

LMRose,
If you are referring to windows which have an exposed wall above them the chances are that the installers have applied silicone gunge across the top of the window causing a dam which leads to water ingress.
I do not think lintols can be damaged easily during window replacement but cavity trays can be damaged/not located correctly.
end

LMRose
Labourer
Labourer

Post by LMRose » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:45 am

[quote="stoneyboy"]LMRose,
If you are referring to windows which have an exposed wall above them the chances are that the installers have applied silicone gunge across the top of the window causing a dam which leads to water ingress.
I do not think lintols can be damaged easily during window replacement but cavity trays can be damaged/not located correctly.
end[/quote]

thank you for your advice.
can you elaborate on the exposed wall part? i will enquire as to whether they used silicone gunge.

it was the company themselves that first suggested it wud b the lintels. if it turns out to be the lintels are damaged or the trays u mention, how much does this roughly cost to put right?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:55 pm

LMRose,
can you elaborate on the exposed wall part - If there is a vertical wall above the window then rainwater will run down the wall/soak into the wall and a silicone gunge bead ontop of the window will force the rainwater onto the top of the frame and hence inside the window.
if it turns out to be the lintels are damaged or the trays u mention, how much does this roughly cost to put right? - depends what has been done, if the cavity trays have not been located correctly then removal and re-fitting of the windows will be needed. I still don't see damaged lintols as being the cause.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:07 am