Window wont open
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nobbyc55
Labourer
Labourer

Window wont open

by nobbyc55 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:22 am

Hi, i have just tried to open my upvc window, when i lift the handle only one side opens, have removed the handle and all looks fine, was wanting to have a go myself as the man who came last time charged £50 and i wasnt here to watch how he did it!, any ideas anyone??? thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Window wont open

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:40 pm

you need to delaze the window,the frame is held level by the glass unit,the glass unit has not been packed right,If your confident in diy then you can do this yourself.
The beads need removing.Taking a flat,sharp paint scraper and a plastic headed hammer knock the scraper in between the window frame and the bead.Start with the largest bead and in the middle,you will have to lever the bead out,do this to all 4 beads and remove the glass.
You will see the plastic packers laid at opposite corners,its called toe and heeling.put the packers at the bottom corner first near the hinge,then place the glass in,Centre the glass in the frame and pack the corners tight.Hold the glass in place and open the window to see if its catching,if it is you need to pack it more,once done spray the window with glass cleaner to help the beads slip on the glass, then replace the beads as before,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:38 am