Windows and Patio Door Lock Issues Advice needed On Solutions
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gibraltarrocks
Labourer
Labourer

Windows and Patio Door Lock Issues Advice needed On Solutions

by gibraltarrocks » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:31 pm

3 bits of advice needed please.

1. I have a sliding patio door that has decided to stop locking. It looks like the bracket that the door slides on to has become bent and that this along with the lock on the door need replacing, however I have had a window firm come out and say that the whole door needs replacing. The question being is that right or should I be able to just replace the lock fittings on both the door and the wall unit?

2. I have a window that should open and close with a turning handle and lock on the handle, however the handle got snapped off by the previous owners in the lock position. Once again I have had people round to look at it and once again they advise replaying the whole window as the it is locked tight with no handle and key. Again is this the correct advice or should I be able to replace the handle and therefore be able to unlock the window.

3. The third question is again of a similar nature. I have a kitchen window that opens from the bottom out and has metal arms that move out with the window. Unfortunately on one side the arms have got bent and the window has to be kept closed or else you cannot shut it again. Question I have is again can the arms be replaced or is it the case of a new window?

Thanks in advance of any help. Also if these things can be sorted where would people recommend I source the parts.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Windows and Patio Door Lock Issues Advice needed On Solutions

by welsh brickie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:47 pm

the lock mechanism may be old and out of circulation, Ask your local UPVC installers if they have the same type, they may have some in their skip.
As for the window handles, you may be able to unscrew the lock off, by removing the screws and prying out the spindle then use a flat head screwdriver to turn the lock.
The kitchen window you can buy spare arms for, or check in the skips for spares as they are always replacing old upvc products

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 am