Wire Mesh Fence Repair
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thebiggestredofall
Labourer
Labourer

Wire Mesh Fence Repair

Post by thebiggestredofall » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:30 pm

A stretch of my wire mesh fence (chain link) was recently damaged. An area about 1.2m in length needs repair. Many of the links in this area are now broken. The rest of the mesh is fine. My issue is how to repair this.

If I cut out the 1.2m damaged area off (fill gap with something) then will it be possible/harder to secure the two ends of the remaining mesh to something (a post?) as the ends I cut will now in effect be broken links?

Can I repair the broken links? I've read about fencing sleeves where the broken ends are stretched, covered by the fencing sleeves, and then crimped etc. But I can't find where to get fencing sleeves (I live in High Wycombe).

Can I get a small amount of chain link wire mesh (about 1.2m high, 2m length) to replace the damaged area (i.e. cut out the damaged area, and then integrate some new chain link wire mesh)?

I'd welcome any thoughts? Thanks. Steve.

fencing001
Labourer
Labourer

Repairing Chainlink

Post by fencing001 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:15 am

Steve.
There are a couple of options to repair chainlink fencing depending on how involved you want to get.
1.) Easiest Option - Simply buy a small amount of chainlink to the correct height along with some tie wire and simply patch over the damaged area tying the new chainlink to the existing around the damaged area. This will only work if the horizontal line wires are still taught.
2.) Drop the entire run of link off the line wires, lay flat on the floor and remove the broken section. This can be done easily by removing one of the link sections at either end of the broken section, at top or bottom of the link where the link pieces are joined by folded back ends simply unfold the ends and twist out the piece of link (no cutting is required). You will then need to join in some new link by simply twisting in the link you had removed previously when taking it apart. Once you have the new link joined in then you would need to re-hang the link as it was before.
3.) Drop the entire run of link and replace with new.

If you need assistance on how to join the link then i'm sure the company you buy it from should be able to show you. If you are buying a short length then they will undoubtably be taking it from a longer roll so ask to watch as they remove it.
Hope This Helps and good luck.
John

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:49 am