Wireless Burglar Alarm
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dickw
Labourer
Labourer

Wireless Burglar Alarm

Post by dickw » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:15 pm

I am considering fitting a wireless burglar alarm. Police web sites advise that a wirefree system should conform to BS6799 Class VI. but all the DIY kits on sale appear to either not quote a BS specification or are BS6799 Class III.

I am unable to find an explanation of the difference between these, and the person at my local police station I was referred to for advice on security matters didn't know anything about the subject either. As far as I can make out from reading advertisements for different systems Class III uses a frequency of 433 Mhz and Class VI uses 868 Mhz.

Does anybody know a) if this is the only difference between the 2 specs and b) what is the advantage (if any) of the higher frequency?

singer
Ganger
Ganger

Post by singer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:46 pm

I used to work for a company that installed wire free intruder alarms and they caused us so many problems with out of hours call-outs due to false alarms we eventually installed wired systems free of charge to get rid of the hastle - much more reliable.

The BS 6799 Class VI. systems you refer to are a big improvement on the earlier versions that used to be affected by signals from radio hams transmissions or even emergency services radio signals as they drove past.

I wouldn't advise fitting anything other than that recommended by the police if you want a trouble free life, or better still fit a wired system!!

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:32 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

tckr_crlsn
Labourer
Labourer

Post by tckr_crlsn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:23 pm

THINK LIKE A BURGLAR
Professional or amateur burglars will break into your home, if there is an opportunity. Be prepared and fight back.
Getting robbed is an awful feeling and makes you think that you could have done more to prevent it.
By definition, the crime of burglary is a non-confrontational property crime that occurs when we are not at home.
Living in a house takes more places and things to think about when talking security. There are lots of break-in points to consider.
• Use a secondary blocking device on all sliding glass doors
• Keep the latch mechanism in good condition and properly adjusted
• Keep sliding door rollers in good condition and properly adjusted
• Use anti-lift devices such as through-the-door pins or upper track screws
• Use highly visible alarm decals, beware of dog decals or block watch decal
• Secure all accessible windows with secondary blocking devices
• Block accessible windows open no more than 6 inches for ventilation
• Make sure someone cannot reach through an open window and unlock the door
• Make sure someone cannot reach inside the window and remove the blocking device
• Use anti-lift devices to prevent window from being lifted out
• Use crime prevention or alarm decals on ground accessible windows
• Use curtains or blinds over any windows or doors that are easy to see into
• Keep expensive equipment and items away from your windows.
• Install locks or secondary security devices on all accessible windows so they can't be opened far enough for someone to crawl through from the outside.
• Make sure garage lights can be turned on from inside the house so you never have to walk into a dark garage.•
• Use the safe everyday so it becomes routine
• Burglars often target the elderly, so be a friend and keep an eye out for local retirees.
• Fire doors are meant to let a person safely exit a building in case of fire — not to let a burglar safely enter it. Keep your hardware updated and the doors closed.
• When living with multiple people, make sure everyone understands the importance of home security. It only takes one person to leave everyone else vulnerable. But don't rely on others; keep your private possessions locked away.
• If you have had a bad experience already with a crook — learn from it — don't just think bad luck won't strike twice!
if you want to learn more Google "ecure-your-valuables.com/"
so I learned all this by buying a UV marker for my child

junexpress
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Wireless Burglar Alarm

Post by junexpress » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Wireless alarms used to be thought of as more temperamental than hard wired systems, but as new technology has developed; they have become just as reliable.Wireless alarms are popular because they don’t take so much time to install because there are no cables to put in.

tulip
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Wireless Burglar Alarm

Post by tulip » Wed May 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Burglar alarm which I used when I was living in hostel. and this we didn't use for the thief we use for awaking the students.
I really missed those moments...:)

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:33 am