Wireless Room Central Heating Thermostat
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jimmy1010
Labourer
Labourer

Wireless Room Central Heating Thermostat

by Jimmy1010 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Hello - I have decided to add a room thermostat to my 20 year old central heating system and resigned myself to routing cable from boiler in basement to sitting room on ground floor since this is where we spend most of our time in the evenings.

Then I saw that there were wireless thermostats.

Can anyone recommend one from personal experience?

Are they easy to wire in at the boiler?

Are there reception issues?

All I need is to be able to turn the stat up or down. I don't need a timer or on/off controls.

For what it's worth the boiler is an old Myson Midas Sfi combi and all the rads have thermostatic valves apart from the one in the airing cupboard.

Will having a room thermostat save on the gas bill all other things being equal?

Hope someone can help. :)

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 am

There are various makes of RF thermostats most of which are reliable and easy to operate, makes like Honeywell, Drayton, Altec, etc.
They operate to approx 30m from the boiler provided there are no major steel structures in between.
Installation of a room stat will give you a closer control of the boiler, however, fuel savings will depend on your boiler 'on' times and room thermostat settings.

DR.

Jimmy1010
Labourer
Labourer

by Jimmy1010 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Thanks for that.

I think on balance I'll just stick with the trv's. At the moment I just turn them up in the room that I'm using and turn them down in rooms that I'm not using and keep the boiler thermostat at the lowest level needed to heat the house adequately.

I had an Energy Performance Certificate for my home recently where it was suggested that more C.H. controls could be fitted but, to be honest, for me I think it's a waste of money.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1