Wiring 85 x lamps in chandelier!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mjl123
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring 85 x lamps in chandelier!!

by mjl123 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:45 pm

I am a keen home DIYer who needs some pro help!

I need to wire 85 x lamps in a modern, contemporary chandelier. Each one is an E27 15w GLS. My question is firstly, should I aim to wire them all in parallel or could I get away with wiring them in series without too much drop in brightness?

Also, assuming that my maths is correct, at 230/240volts, this would rate the whole lamp at 1275 watts giving it an amp rating of around 5.5A? Don't know if this changes depending on parallel or series wiring?

If my calculations are then correct, provided that the total demand of ALL lighting on this circuit doesn't exceed the fuse rating at the consumer unit, (watts divided by voltage = amps), then this should be ok?

Also, could I use twin, round, multi strand appliance flex (2x1.5mm) to carry this load to and throughout the lamp? (no earth required as it has NO metal or conductive parts). The wire is exposed to view, so I would like it to be round and white coated!

You help would be great.

Thanks

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Wiring 85 x lamps in chandelier!!

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:52 am

[quote="mjl123"]I am a keen home DIYer who needs some pro help!

I need to wire 85 x lamps in a modern, contemporary chandelier. Each one is an E27 15w GLS. My question is firstly, should I aim to wire them all in parallel or could I get away with wiring them in series without too much drop in brightness?

Also, assuming that my maths is correct, at 230/240volts, this would rate the whole lamp at 1275 watts giving it an amp rating of around 5.5A? Don't know if this changes depending on parallel or series wiring?

If my calculations are then correct, provided that the total demand of ALL lighting on this circuit doesn't exceed the fuse rating at the consumer unit, (watts divided by voltage = amps), then this should be ok?

Also, could I use twin, round, multi strand appliance flex (2x1.5mm) to carry this load to and throughout the lamp? (no earth required as it has NO metal or conductive parts). The wire is exposed to view, so I would like it to be round and white coated!

You help would be great.

Thanks[/quote]

MJL123
Best to ask your friendly electrcian , who can advise u on site

BLAKEY1963

27col
Apprentice
Apprentice

by 27col » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:58 pm

I suggest that even with only two lamps in series the light output will be very low. If you want to series up any more, then the lights will be very dim indeed. Why do you not just wire some up on the bench and see what is the effect on the light output. Bearing in mind that you are playing with 230v, so great care will be needed for your own safety.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:26 pm