Wiring a consumer unit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dazzer
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a consumer unit

Post by Dazzer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:05 pm

I am making a small 30 amp ring in a workshop. I'm just doing 2 double sockets, and an external via a RCD to start, and a couple of lights on a second ring.

I've a consumer unit with a 30 amp breaker and 10 amp breaker.

Now where I'm confused is ... if it's a ring presumably the consumer unit should have the outgoing live as well as the return live going into the 30 amp circuit breaker. But all the diagrams only show one wire. Is my presumption correct? Or should the return connect elsewhere in the consumer unit.

Dazzer

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:39 pm

Hi dazzer
Leaving out for a moment the illegality of doing this work yourself....
power circuits are usually in a ring with both lives in same breaker & both Neutrals in same term on N bar, lights are never wired as a ring, always as a radial looping either at light or at switches, see 'Project' section of the forum
regards SPARX

Dazzer
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Dazzer » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:14 am

I'll get a registered electrician to pass it once I've done the work. It's all on an RCD to the main consumer unit.

Now just to be clear both live ends of the sockets ring would go into the same terminal of the breaker on this new secondary consumer unit?

I was planning to do the lights as a radial loop.

thanks,

Dazzer

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:16 am