Wiring a Flush Ceiling Light?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
murrayj
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a Flush Ceiling Light?

by murrayj » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:53 am

Hi

I'm replacing a ceiling rose with a Flush Ceiling light fitting. I've got an upstairs & downstairs circuit system where the wires go from one light to the next and so on.

So far I have taken off the ceiling rose and put the new flush plate up with the new fitting. However, the new fitting only has two connection points in total for the core wires (live/neutral) - and I have 3 cables with 3 wires each coming from the ceiling.

I have identified the switch cable, but i don't know what goes where? Do i need to squeeze all 3 lives into the one connection point, and all 3 neutrals into the other connection point? I don't think they will fit like that so need some advice on what the correct wiring is.

Your help would be appreciated.

Ta

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Including the earth you will need four connections. All earths together. All live wires together but not connecting to the lamp in any way. The switch wire normally black or blue with a red or brown sleeve to the live of lamp. And the neutrals together with return from lamp together. Most lamps have three connections of chock block which I replace with four connections of chock block often using next size up 20 amp to get all the cables to fit.

murrayj
Labourer
Labourer

by murrayj » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:09 pm

Thank you - have got it working

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:22 pm