Wiring a metal ceiling rose to old wiring (no earth in exist
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
frekkals
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a metal ceiling rose to old wiring (no earth in exist

Post by frekkals » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:54 pm

hi, I have a 3 way halogen metal spotlight fitting that I want to fit to my kitchen ceiling. After taking off the old ceiling rose I notice there is no earth, the house is 1930s and obviously with the new lighting system that I want to connect you are supposed to fit an earth to the chassis of the new light fitting. Can you please offer any suggestions? Does that chassis of the new light need to be earthed?

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:43 am

Yes it will need to be earthed any fitting not requiring earths with have a double square one inside the other to indicate it is Class II which does not require an earth. If your house lighting circuit has no earths I would wonder about the rest. It seems there are many houses where there are no other faults but a 1930's house is likely to have been rewired but may be not a full rewire and it is recommended it is inspected and tested every 10 years or change of occupant but it seems this is only observed with rented accommodation so it may have been many years since it was checked.
Eric

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

Post by TOPSPARK » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:58 pm

First of all get in a part p registered electrician and have him do a full periodic inspection and test and then go from there. It sounds a little dodgy to me your wiring so get it checked out ASAP.
regards
Topspark

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:49 am