Wiring a new boiler
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Reeny
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wiring a new boiler

by Reeny » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:23 pm

I am getting a gas boiler (worcester greenstar 37cdi) installed in kitchen when it has been plastered. i am chasing out sockets at the momoent and need to know if i should chase a socket out for the boiler. i have no idea on how a boiler is wired up so any help will be appreciated. can i spur of a normal double socket? obviously i will have it wired by an electrician but i just need to prepare the walls.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 am

Reeny
this is part p work and notifiable if in a kitchen , and not diy.
your part p sparky would recommend a separate circuit for the
central heating boiler , on its own dedicated mcb.

BLAKEY1963

Reeny
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Reeny » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:04 pm

[quote="BLAKEY1963"]Reeny
this is part p work and notifiable if in a kitchen , and not diy.
your part p sparky would recommend a separate circuit for the
central heating boiler , on its own dedicated mcb.

BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Thanks blakey, im not actually gonna install the boiler or touch the electrics im leaving that to the experts. like i said all im doing is chasing out the walls ready for plasterers. So will i need to chase out a hole for a fuse box for the boiler as well as a channel for the cable?

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:34 pm

Just a hole single socket size in the wall,35 mm metal box deep enough to allow room for wires this will then have a switched fused connection unit put on it.
Prefered if possible get it wired on own circuit back to the house fuseboard on its own 16 amp if you have spare ways,if your elect is wiring back to the board chase to the floor or ceiling for cable depending on route.
If he is doing other sockets in the room he can wire this in to form part of the ring.if so chase to one of the other boxes,you may need to go vertically down then up vertically to the socket box,depending how he is running the wires.MIND OUT FOR ANY EXISTING WIRES already IN WALL.
Try to reform as part of the ring rather than a spur so you might need a route to get wire to two of the new sockets.
For part p chase hor or vert otherwise it will need to be 50mm deep or in metal pipe,try to position box near to boiler, where accessible and away from where water could drip from the boiler or pipework.
If your boiler is having a stat or timer located elsewhere in the house you may need to chase out for these wires also.
As long as you dont wire it you should be ok but it might be wise for the elect to mark out the chases and you just do the labouring.
Depending what capping or tube he uses will dictate width of chase.
A small slot just the cable size is NOT acceptable
Remember your other kitchen sockets need to be positioned at least 150 mm above worktops and 300mm from sink to conform to part p

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:31 pm