Wiring a new Lamp That has 9 Wires
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
biranb
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a new Lamp That has 9 Wires

Post by biranb » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:57 am

Hello All

I have purchased a new light and have some difficulty fitting it and hope I can get some help

I have three of the following

I want to fit this to the following current light fitting

i have numbered the existing connections so hope some can tell me how to fit the 9 new wires I have

Regards
Bobby

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring a new Lamp That has 9 Wires

Post by kbrownie » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Terminals 1&2 are the switch lines, they come live when the switch is on and off when the switch is off. Just swap the brown of old lamp with brown of new.

Terminals 3,4,5 are the live loop, these are permanently live, and remain as they are.

Terminals 6,7.8 are the neutral loop, so just swap the blue of the existing lamp with the blue of the new one.

Then obviously the green/yellows are the CPC (AKA earth) and they are again swapped over like for like.

biranb
Labourer
Labourer

Post by biranb » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:29 pm

Updated with correct images

Here is the old light

You can see where the brown and blue wires are connected to

I have removed the old light leaving the following

I have purchased a new light which has three lamps

In terms of connecting this do I

1) Connect the three blue wires to where the old light has its blue wire connected
2) Connect the three brown wires to where the old light has its brown wire connected
3) Connect the three earths to where the three green wires are connected

Is this safe?

I do not think I could fit another three wires to earth as there are three already

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:03 pm

biranb wrote:
I have purchased a new light which has three lamps

Does this light have a cover/enclosure, as the fitting you are connecting to generally only has one pendant hanging from this.

biranb wrote:In terms of connecting this do I

1) Connect the three blue wires to where the old light has its blue wire connected
2) Connect the three brown wires to where the old light has its brown wire connected
3) Connect the three earths to where the three green wires are connected

Is this safe?

That would make all three lamps work, yes and it is safe providing you do this correctly and you can restrain all three sets of cables without causing stress to them.

biranb wrote:I do not think I could fit another three wires to earth as there are three already

I am unsure what you are trying to achieve by having this configuration from a single ceiling rose, could you please show me what the finished fitting looks like?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:34 am