wiring a switch to a socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Uboss
Labourer
Labourer

wiring a switch to a socket

by Uboss » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi,
I need to control 3 sockets units from 3 switches. Could you please tell me how to connect the wires. Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:20 pm

what are the sockets to be used for?

Uboss
Labourer
Labourer

by Uboss » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:45 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]what are the sockets to be used for?[/quote]

The sockets will be use to connect LED lights which have transformers on the plugs.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:29 pm

It is do-able, is it a new circuit or are you intending to take a fused connection unit from an exsisting circuit. If you create a new circuit from the consumer unit it will need to be notified to your local building controls office and a electrical installation certificate be issued. If it is additon to a circuit and not in special location (bath/shower rooms, kitchens, outdoors etc) It does not need to be notifed and can be done by a person that is not registered to the domestic installers scheme but a minor works certificate will be needed.
KB

Uboss
Labourer
Labourer

by Uboss » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]It is do-able, is it a new circuit or are you intending to take a fused connection unit from an exsisting circuit. If you create a new circuit from the consumer unit it will need to be notified to your local building controls office and a electrical installation certificate be issued. If it is additon to a circuit and not in special location (bath/shower rooms, kitchens, outdoors etc) It does not need to be notifed and can be done by a person that is not registered to the domestic installers scheme but a minor works certificate will be needed.
KB[/quote]

The circuit is existant it is on the first floor ring main and it is for connecting LED lights in a bathroom but the sockets are outside the bathroom. I was wondering how, as I seen it before, how I could control a socket with a swictch. I know I could control them from the actual socket switch but fot confort I rather have them on a normal 1 way switch. Is it just a matter of using junction boxes as it`s done to control lighting ?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Uboss,
I'll tidy up a few issues here,
Sockets can not be in bathroom unless RCD protected and outside of the zones as described in BS7671:2008
Only pullcord switches are allowed within the bathroom anyway
So what you intend to have done does comply's
LED lights are extra low voltage so should not have problem regarding them either.
But you still need to comply with part p and have certficates to verify it's safety and compliances.
I'm not going to tell you to do something that is not legal.
You will need to have installed a FCU so the sockets are protected unless you use a switched fuse spur to operate the sockets as a functional switch. If not I would be offering this circuit discrimantion as your standard switch plates are 6amp and the current in this circuit would be greater than that. this circuit should be RCD protected too
KB

Uboss
Labourer
Labourer

by Uboss » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:34 am

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi Uboss,
I'll tidy up a few issues here,
Sockets can not be in bathroom unless RCD protected and outside of the zones as described in BS7671:2008
Only pullcord switches are allowed within the bathroom anyway
So what you intend to have done does comply's
LED lights are extra low voltage so should not have problem regarding them either.
But you still need to comply with part p and have certficates to verify it's safety and compliances.
I'm not going to tell you to do something that is not legal.
You will need to have installed a FCU so the sockets are protected unless you use a switched fuse spur to operate the sockets as a functional switch. If not I would be offering this circuit discrimantion as your standard switch plates are 6amp and the current in this circuit would be greater than that. this circuit should be RCD protected too
KB[/quote]

Hi kbrownie,

Thanks for the info, I got it sorted.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 pm