Wiring Bathroom Light on End Circuit With Extractor Fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
flateric81
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring Bathroom Light on End Circuit With Extractor Fan

Post by flateric81 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:22 pm

I need a bit of advice.
Previously I removed a standard ceiling rose and replaced it with a modern chrome fitting, using wago connectors its no real problems.
Now I have decided to replace the light fittings in both the bathroom and ensuite. The first thing I would note is the home builder has used the same light fittings as in the other rooms in the house – I assumed some sort of waterproofing would have been needed in these locations?

Having taken apart the rose in the bathroom, there is more cabling than I was used to, I assume it is the end of the circuit and the extractor fan is connected in. The problem is the junction box included with the new light fitting is extremely small, it will only fit 3 wires through it, when I have several more. Am I able to connect all these wires in a junction box in the loft and then run separate wires through the ceiling into the junction box provided with the new light? I was going to cut the cable from the old pendant I’ve just removed and used that to connect the box in the attic with the junction box in the new light; is there any risks with that?
Or have you any better suggestions? the project guide mentions just pushing the junction box through the ceiling, but could this result in too much moisture reaching the box?

Secondly my partner wants a Hollywood style vanity mirror setup in a spare room. I was going to take 2 of the musik mirrors (wall mirrors from ikea), wire them together with a wall plug and a torpedo switch so it won’t need wired into the wall. Am I likely to have any difficulties with this?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring Bathroom Light on End Circuit With Extractor Fan

Post by ericmark » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:23 am

There are special junction boxes made for lighting. J501 from Hager is a good example, you can also get maintenance free J804 for example, but maintenance free are not easy to use with flex.

As to mirrors they need a fuse, be it in a plug, in a FCU or supplied from lighting already fused at 6A.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:25 pm