Wiring Circuit With no Loop in Ceiling Roses?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
McDaddy
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring Circuit With no Loop in Ceiling Roses?

by McDaddy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:23 pm

DSC_1271.jpg
DSC_1271.jpg (4.7 KiB) Viewed 12161 times
DSC_1273.jpg
DSC_1273.jpg (8.37 KiB) Viewed 12161 times
Hi all
First time poster here - apologies for what is I'm sure a stupid question....

I am replacing the lights in my hall with some fabric cables and bakelite ceiling roses. There are two light fittings, controlled by switches at the top and bottom of the stairs.
Upon opening my existing rose, it doesn't look as I expected - I have no cables connected to the 'loop', which I thought was standard and required. Is this OK, or does it mean that the loop is wired from the switches?

Im asking as unfortunately I have reason to believe some elements of my house were slightly botched during the build.

Also, if I replace like for like, there is currently no earth on the hanging light fitting cable, should I just cut and tape this up on the new cable?

Have included pictures, thanks for anyone's help

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring Circuit With no Loop in Ceiling Roses?

by Mr White » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:30 pm

From your pictures, I am guessing that both lights operate at the same time?

There is nothing wrong with the way it has been done, the supply loops at the switch instead of the ceiling rose.

The current pendant lamp holder does not require an earth as there are no exposed metal parts. If your new light fittings come with a 3 core then you must connect the earth.

Your new ceiling roses should have an earth terminal for you to connect the earth cable of the supply to. (Just like your current ceiling roses have)

McDaddy
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Wiring Circuit With no Loop in Ceiling Roses?

by McDaddy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 am

Great - thanks for your help and the quick reply

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:29 pm