wiring colours in a 1930's house?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bpascua
Apprentice
Apprentice

wiring colours in a 1930's house?

by bpascua » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:40 am

Hello,

I live in a 1930 house with the older wiring colours. I was replacing a ceiling light today when I came up against some strangeness - to me at least. I was under the impression that the old live/earth/neutral colours were red/black.

I removed a light fitting today and found three three core leads connected up(black/red and green/yell). the three red connections were isolated and not connected to anything. then two of the black leads were connected to the blue connection on the light and one other black connection to the brown.

This light was working, so should I just connect my new light up in the same way? I had always expected red to go to brown and black to blue.

Help!

thanks

Brian

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Brian, wiring sounds okay.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:22 pm

If you look under projects electrical changing a light there are drawings in colour which will show your set up which is normal for old wiring.
briefly the 3 reds in a spare connector are live in, out to next light & live to switch.
The 2 blacks are Neutral in, out to next light plus flex (blue) to your lights Neutral.
Remaining black (which should be marked red) is return switch line and goes to brown of flex.
regards Sparx.

bpascua
Apprentice
Apprentice

by bpascua » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:59 pm

thanks all.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:34 am