Wiring Double Light Switch That was on Grid System
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dave.alcock82
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring Double Light Switch That was on Grid System

by dave.alcock82 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:40 pm

hi all,

Im sure this has been covered a million time already but all advise I've found on various forums doesn't seem to work for me on this occasion.

I replaced a hall / bathroom switch that was on a 'grid' system for a standard Com, L1, L2 and can't figure out the new wiring pattern.

I have attached a photo of the original switch which worked fine and the new switch - this currently lets me turn the hall light and bathroom lights on together (hall on the right, bathroom on the left as you look at it from the front) or just the bathroom by using the switch on the left as you look at it from the front.

all advice greatly appreciated!

thank you
Attachments
IMG_2465.jpeg
IMG_2488.jpeg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring Double Light Switch That was on Grid System

by ericmark » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:45 am

You need a double intermediate switch not a double two way switch. An intermediate switch can be used as a two way switch, but not the other way around.

dave.alcock82
Labourer
Labourer

by dave.alcock82 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:58 pm

thanks for the advioce Eric - can you tell me which wires go where in that instance?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:35 pm

I have not done it that often to remember what the marking was. I simply but meter on buzzer and belled out the switch, Seem to remember if you consider one hole at top to be com then two holes at bottom become L1 and L2. Of course you can reverse that and it will still work.

I only have one intermediate in whole of house, in bed room as main light can be switched either side of bed or at door.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:46 am

Not all intermediate switches are wired the same, so it would depend on the switch purchased.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:49 am