Wiring for loft power
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vwsplituk
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring for loft power

Post by vwsplituk » Sun May 20, 2007 10:23 am

I've just finished quite an extensive remoddeling of my (small) house. Now the dust has settled i've stupidly realised I really needed to install a twin plug socket in the loft for, and ONLY for, a 15" lcd tv that will hang high on a wall in the bedroom below, and a signal booster for the aerial.
Currently the only wiring up there is lighting main, so any easily layable ring main guage wiring will have to be chased out from the fusebox up two walls and through two ceilings into the loft. There are no handy plug sockets about at that part of the house to easily extend the main from.
For two such low draw items, could I get away with taking a spur from the lighting main? or would this type of thing make the building inspectors want to shoot me?
Any other advice on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Paul

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun May 20, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi, as you say can't fit double socket on lights But you can still get 2a or 5A round pin sockets to go on lighting circuit for low current usage as circuit protected by 5-10 A fuse/mcb, just be sure to connect to lighting feed between fittings & not switch wire! very easy to mix em up,regards SPARX

vwsplituk
Labourer
Labourer

Post by vwsplituk » Wed May 23, 2007 10:56 pm

Hi again,

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm glad it doesn't seem to sound like i'll need to go beating my freshly plastered walls up again.
So, to clarify, are you saying I can take a lighting standard 2.5mm twin and earth cable spur from the live feed on the bedroom light main, and into a two plug round pin type socket. Then remove the standard plugs from the 40W 15" LCDTV and low drain TV signal booster, and fit round pin type plugs instead?

Many thanks,
Paul

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri May 25, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi Paul
yes only need 1.0mm or 1.5mm cable, 1mm clipped suface in loft can carry 15A!..1.5mm similarly clipped 19.5A (both clear of insulation), or if in insulation down rated to 11.0A & 14.0A respectively, your not going to get 2.5 in light fitting ....
above from iee regs table 4D2A
regards SPARX

vwsplituk
Labourer
Labourer

Post by vwsplituk » Sat May 26, 2007 12:30 am

Right ho, got it. Thanks very much again for that Sparx, you're a gent.
Looks like i'll be keeping busy this rainy bank holiday weekend :o)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 pm