Wiring for Mains or Battery Smoke Alarms - Different Colour Wires on New Alarm?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thomastt37
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring for Mains or Battery Smoke Alarms - Different Colour Wires on New Alarm?

Post by thomastt37 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:52 pm

I have to replace two interconnected BRK 86RACE Mains/Battery Smoke alarms installed new in 1993 in a new build wired on there own circuit on an MCB .The nearest equivalent is BRK/Dicon 670MBX. Mains Battery Alarm. but the wiring is now differently coloured,and the new alarm has a different connecting plug
The OLD alarms are wired RED[live?] Blue [neutral?] and a Brown wire[which I believe interconnects the second alarm?]Before I connect up the new alarms is there any test i can make to establish the correct wiring? Any help appreciated.
Michael

thedoctor

Re: Wiring for Mains or Battery Smoke Alarms - Different Colour Wires on New Alarm?

Post by thedoctor » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Go straight to the manufaturer Thomas, they will tell you which wire relates to which. We do not have an alarms expert on site and if you dont get this right your manufacturers guarantee will not be valid. Best to be sure !

Please do let us know how you get on as the answer to this question could help a lot of people in this firum in the future.

thomastt37
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Wiring for Mains or Battery Smoke Alarms - Different Colour Wires on New Alarm?

Post by thomastt37 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:43 pm

thedoctor wrote:Go straight to the manufaturer Thomas, they will tell you which wire relates to which. We do not have an alarms expert on site and if you dont get this right your manufacturers guarantee will not be valid. Best to be sure !

Please do let us know how you get on as the answer to this question could help a lot of people in this firum in the future.

Contacted manufacturers agent in uk..they said that they were unable to help as they were not electricians! so no further forward i'm afraid,looks as though I shall have to rely on the internal battery until I can get an answer.[Regs changed in 2006 with new colours I am told]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 pm