Wiring in a bathroom towel rail
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SimonMc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wiring in a bathroom towel rail

by SimonMc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:24 pm

I've had a flat re-wired recently but now want to add an electric towel rail or radiator in the bathroom and also an electric radiator in a hallway. I'm gutting a bathroom and intend doing all the work myself except the final wiring up to save cost whilst also ensuring the work can be certified. There is no other form of heating in these areas.

My 'sparky' is on hols for 3 weeks but I want to get on with the job so the bathroom itself can be completed.

I briefly mentioned the job to him and I know I need to run a spur (3 core 2.5mm) from one of the new ring sockets for power but we didn't discuss how the heating was controlled. I assume there needs to be a switch of some sort - timer or pull switch(?) outside the bathroom itself

Can anyone advise what other chasing out and wiring I need to do in addition to the main power supply? I've no intention of wiring up myself (the flat will be sold and I need the certificate) in case any qualified sparky is out there - I just want to lay the wiring and get on with the tiling.

Any help appreciated.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:19 am

Hi

Have you had a chance to have a look at the DIY Projects section of the site? There are quite a number of projects relating to Electrics that may be of some help to you: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

Regards

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:49 pm

In order to deal with the current you are looking at something like http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63141/Hea ... stat-Probe which is designed for under floor heating. The sensor goes in a tube so although controls are outside the sensing is done from inside. You will need to modify where the sensor goes as not using underfloor heating no point in being put under the floor.
Does that help?
Eric

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:29 am