Wiring in a new light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Wiring in a new light

by Joiner_Mike » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:12 pm

Hi im a joiner and have recently split a bedroom into a bedroom with a studded wall/door etc. I want to put a light in for the customer which is no problem as its easiely done. I have mounted a light to the wall (customers request) wired that to a light switch and from the light switch fed a cable though the top of the stud wall into the atic. My plan is to follow the exsisting bedroom light cable back to find the lighting ring. Then cut there and attch my wire using a junction box. The house is pretty old and i have a feeling it is going to be the old wiring system (6 wires?) i am only used to the 3 wires system Live neutral and earth. If i cut the ring and it is the old wiring system how do i join them all up in the junction box? Since i think more than 1 wire is red will i need some metre etc to find out which wire is what? I would be grateful for any help and advise.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:41 am

Have a look in Projects section you should not need a junction box you should be able to take supply from ceiling rose. But once you have looked at the projects section do return with any questions.

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

cheers ericmark

by Joiner_Mike » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:14 am

Thank you for your advise
I Believe that on the old wiring system there is a circuit that runs from ceiling rose to ceiling rose. This wire only has 3 wires like the new wiring system. So if i cut into it there and connect it back up with my wire via a junction box then i should have no problems if its old or new wiring system. I haven't fed enough wire into the attic to reach the exsisting ceiling rose (Typical joiner lol) thank you for your advise if you see any problems with what i have said then please correct me

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:02 pm

It is not normal to cut into a cable and used junction boxes normally all connections would be made in the ceiling roses. Moving away from standard methods can result in problems in the future and I would advise against it. I am not saying you are breaking regulations but I am sure you realize if we didn't follow these standard methods we would have been unable to help you with your original question.

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Thank You

by Joiner_Mike » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:42 pm

Ok no problem ill extend my wire with a junction box so it can continue to the ceiling rose. Good point so ill do it the way you have suggested. Thank you again for your advise

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:03 am