Wiring in additional kitchen lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
baldysporran
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring in additional kitchen lights

by baldysporran » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:42 pm

Have recently added under cupboard lights and plinth lights and are currently connected to a normal 3 pin double socket.

Would now like to connect them to the kitchen light switch which is presently a one gang two way switch.

I would like to use a 2 gang switch with one switch for the main kitchen light and one switch for the new cupboard and plinth lights. What is the easiest way to wire them up? Can I take a feed from an existing ring main socket or do I have to connect it from the existing lighting circuit which may be difficult to access.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:32 pm

As all work of this nature in a special location (kitchen ) & clearly you are not qualified to do it, legally you need to employ an electrician on a 'competent persons ' register to do this notifiable work, sorry but building regs 'Part-P' rules apply here,

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:31 pm

The person doing the work would need to connect to light switch. You can DIY but the work would need registering with the local authority building control before you start and in my area there is a single fee around £80 and unless you are doing a lot of work not worth doing DIY cheaper to get a registered electrician.
Eric

baldysporran
Labourer
Labourer

by baldysporran » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

baldysporran
Labourer
Labourer

by baldysporran » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:13 pm

Further to my earlier post I note that as I live in Scotland Part P regulations only apply to England and wales. Not sure if there is a similar one for |Scotland

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:03 pm

As far as I am aware there are stricter regulations in Scotland but in North Wales too far away for me to worry what they are. This may mean it is cheaper for you to DIY as it is the cost that stops DIY in England and Wales.
As to how there is some information on my web page http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html
Grand children are around so I'll come back latter.
Eric

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:45 am