Wiring in New Cooker
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jane
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring in New Cooker

by Jane » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:30 am

Hi

I have brought a cooker which I plan to connect myself.

But the wire in the wall socket is still black and red with a green/yellow earth and the wire in the new cable is blue and brown with the green/yellow earth.

So my question is which cable goes to which, is it:

Blue to Black and Brown to Red

or

Blue to Red and Brown to Black?

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Wiring in a new cooker

by DONFRAMAC » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:17 am

Brown or red go to the live connection, and blue or black go to the neutral, unfused connection. Green has been replaced by green and yellow, for the earth line. The neutral line in houses is bonded to the incoming earth sheath if you have had rewiring done by your electric supplier, eg uprating your incoming fuse rating for storage radiators, or rewiring generally. Fitting a new kitchen or bathroom also requires bonding the neutral line to the copper rising-main;--Installer knows this.
I checked the colours on the card on the moulded plug on my new toaster, just to be sure. I have installed a ring-main and several spur extensions, and a cooker outlet, some years ago.
By the way, safety circuits protecting cookers, are set for 300 ma, which is 10 times the current which is fatal. Modern houses only provide personal trip protection current of 30 ma on sockets and lighting, and that won't protect after a transrormer, eg for a shaver. The cooker protection is for fire risks; cookers often leak current to earth, and would trip a whole-house 30 ma unit, as I discovered myself, but cured it by fitting a new hob ring;- quite a simple job;- not quite so easy with the oven;- a bit
of strip-down to do. Parts are cheap, even if ceremic-hob type, and the glass cover is easily lifted to gain access to the ceramic mouldings which
hold the spirals of coiled radiant pyro-wire.

ARD
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ARD » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:07 pm

You also need to make sure that the point your are connecting your new cooker to can take the current draw.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:16 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:06 pm