Wiring in PIR to Control Outside Lights Around Property
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Willie147
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring in PIR to Control Outside Lights Around Property

Post by Willie147 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:45 pm

I have exterior lights around my home that require turning on / off as required. What I would like to do is to have them controlled by a PIR. I have wired in the PIR as per the (very brief) instructions but it only controls the light I wired it into. The rest stay on until the switch is switched.

Is there a simple way to make the PIR control the whole circuit or did I miss something.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring in PIR to Control Outside Lights Around Property

Post by kbrownie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:16 pm

So you want one pir to activate multiply lights.
I assume you have manual switch.
So wiring from the switch, you first install the PIR, then you loop in to each light after the pir.
Some PIR's only have the permanent live, then switch line connection. Some will have the neutral connection. each light will need to be connected to the switch line at the live terminal of light and a neutral is also required at each light fitting, even if the PIR does not have one.
It is also wise to have CPC (earth) continuous throughout the circuit, even if there is no terminal at the fittings for one, if no terminal then use a connection block to terminate the CPCs.

Willie147
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Wiring in PIR to Control Outside Lights Around Property

Post by Willie147 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:55 am

That's confirmed what I thought. A big thank you for a prompt and thorough response.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:53 pm