WIRING IN WALL LIGHTS PROJECT
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
misterg
Tradesman
Tradesman

WIRING IN WALL LIGHTS PROJECT

by misterg » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:49 pm

Hi

I have a question about this project. It says to use 1.5 mm cable and 20 Amp junction boxes.

I would have though it should have been 1mm cable and 5 amp junction boxes, or have i missed something?

BTW in the actual text it says use a 15 Amp junction box, so am assuming this is a typo.

Cheers

Mister G

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: WIRING IN WALL LIGHTS PROJECT

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:09 am

[quote="misterg"]Hi

I have a question about this project. It says to use 1.5 mm cable and 20 Amp junction boxes.

I would have though it should have been 1mm cable and 5 amp junction boxes, or have i missed something?

BTW in the actual text it says use a 15 Amp junction box, so am assuming this is a typo.

Cheers

Mister G[/quote]

MISTERG
20 AMP JOINT BOXES GIVE YOU AMPLE ROOM AND ARE
RECOMMENDED FOR THIS APPLICATION BECAUSE THEY
ACCOMADATE THE CABLES CORRECTLY.
1.5 MM2 IS RECOMMENDED TO ALLOW DERATING OF CABLES FOR VOLTAGE DROP, AND ALLOWANCES FOR INSTALLATION METHODS WHICH EFFECT CURRENT CARRYING CAPACITY,
BLAKEY1963

misterg
Tradesman
Tradesman

by misterg » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:14 pm

Thanks Blakey.

I'm getting the all the lights rewired, as it is all rubber coated.

Should I ask the electrician to use 1.5mm cable?

I replaced all lights with low voltage ones when I moved in, so the load should be about a quater of what it was before, even after I have added a couple extra fixtures.

That being said, I may want downlighters fitted later on in the living room or kitchen.

Cheers

G

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:53 pm

[quote="misterg"]Thanks Blakey.

I'm getting the all the lights rewired, as it is all rubber coated.

Should I ask the electrician to use 1.5mm cable?

I replaced all lights with low voltage ones when I moved in, so the load should be about a quater of what it was before, even after I have added a couple extra fixtures.

That being said, I may want downlighters fitted later on in the living room or kitchen.

Cheers

MISTERG
1.5MM2 LIGHTING CABLE WOULD BE AN ADVANTAGE
IF YOU INTENDED TO ALLOW FOR EXTRA LIGHTS TO BE ADDED. THE PROTECTIVE DEVICE COULD BE UPGRADED FROM 6 TO 10 AMP DEPENDING ON AMOUNT OF LIGHTING REQUIRED. YOU COULD
THEN ADVISE YOUR SPARK OF INTENTIONS.
BLAKEY1963

G[/quote]

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:24 pm