wiring light switchs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
garyt
Labourer
Labourer

wiring light switchs

by garyt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:38 pm

i am putting new light switchs in the hall and on the landing, the hall is a double switch for the hall and landing and on the landing there is a single switch, the new switchs are totally dofferent than the old ones.
The new landing switch has a com, 1 way and 2 way with the hall having the same but twice, How do they wire up

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:16 am

Hi, Garyt,
the new sw's can't be much different to the old ones!!!
Landing is 2 way so must have C, L1 L2 just like the original. what's different? one wire at one end is Common other two at opposite end of sw are L1 & L2 which go one wire in each, colours Red, yellow, Blue. If you also have an additional 2 core Red & blk they go one in each L1 & L2, making 2 in each except Com. term with 1 only.
down stairs will have other end of 3 core,R,Y,Bu., they go same as upstairs but whichever colour is in Com. term upstrs MUST be same in Com. downstrs.. that should just leave 1 twin R,BK which go R in Com of other sw, & Bk in L1, L2 NOT USED, if still not sure come back with how many of what colours are at each position,
regards SPARX

garyt
Labourer
Labourer

by garyt » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:46 am

The switchs that came off were old and totally different. Te switch i have for in the hall is a 2 gang 2 way which turns the hall light and landing light on and off so for the hall to work i have got the red into com, black into 1 way and earth connected to the socket case and that works ok.
The other bit of this switch again has com, 1 way and 2 way and this feeds the light switch for the landings whch again has com, 1 way and 2 way but up here i have 2 sets of wires - one from the hall switch and one to feed the light.
So just to recap the back of the switch in the hall has 2 coms, 2 1 ways and 2 2 ways and wires for the hall light and feed for the landing and the switch on the landing has com, 1 way and 2 way

garyt
Labourer
Labourer

light switch

by garyt » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:53 am

the switch in the hall feeds the hall and the landing, it is 2 gang, 2 way so at the back of the switch are 2 coms, 2 1ways and 2 2 ways. I have the switch in the hall working with red into com, black into 1 way and earth wired into the socket case.
The other connections feed the upstairs which is a 1 gang 2 way switch with com, 1 way and 2 way and 2 lots of wire- 1 from the hall and 1 to feed the landing light

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Ok Garyt, lets forget the hall lt which is working.
at the 2 way down stairs what colour wire is in Common? (usually YELLOW?)
if not change it so u have yell in com, red in L1, Blk in L2.
Up stairs, put yell. in com, put both reds in L1, put Blu + blk. in L2.
now tell me it doesn't work....
regards SPARX

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 pm