Wiring Lounge Lighting for new Lamp
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wiring Lounge Lighting for new Lamp

by northstream » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 am

Breaker off, using contactless detector.

An old lamp had been previously removed by decorator and was unable to take image prior installation of a new lamp.

There is a switch panel on the wall that powers three separate lights. Each light has its own switch.

What have I done wrong with the 3rd cable? All the remaining cables have live, neutral and earth, however, the 3rd only has neutral and earth. I think this is a live return to the switch panel and should be with the browns?
Attachments
IMG_20180226_102128.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring Lounge Lighting for new Lamp

by Mr White » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Depends which cable you mean by the 3rd cable.

But you picture does look right as one of the cables has its brown connected to the other browns, and its blue has brown sleeving, which indicates its a switched live.

The one thing that I would be concerned with is the blue cables, you have four of them going into a wago designed for only 3 cables, I would change that to a bigger wago as doing your way results in bad connections which can be a fire risk.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Looks like there is a borrowed neutral there (single blue wire) which is most probably feeding another light somewhere, like an outside light.

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

by northstream » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 am

I see what you mean about the wago Mr White and have an alternative wago I can use.

As for the third cable, it is the third section of conduit that has only a neutral and earth.

I think it does power the other lights in the lounge which are on the same switch panel (3 gang 2 way). So chriscba, does this mean the 'hot' brown should be the only one connected to the single blue (return to switch panel) and the remainder as normal?

Thanks in advance

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

by northstream » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:06 am

Like in this diagram.
Attachments
IMG_20180227_060305.jpg

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

by northstream » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:52 am

I tested the idea of the spare neutral being a return to the switch panel with no success or adverse effects. Please see diagram. I think I am closer, but not quite enough to not call a sparky. There is something really simple I'm missing. What are the odds two switches on a panel have failed?

Continue investigating . . .
Attachments
IMG_20180227_084518.jpg

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

by northstream » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:12 am

Tested the spare neutral wire and still no lights on. There is however power to the hot wire and power to both lamps with all switches off, but no lights lit (circuit not closing with neutral?). Back to the diagram.

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

by northstream » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 am

Wiring in switch panel. Two neutrals sleeved.
Attachments
switches.jpg

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:47 am

Should be no neutrals going into the switch plate.

In the light wiring, put all browns together...... all blues together...... the switch wire with brown sleeve to light & take a neutral to the light

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

by northstream » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:08 am

Have tried wiring the central light in the lounge using this diagram, have power to the central light, but not the two on opposing walls. Starting to think about using this configuration, but then connecting spare neutral to switch live as well.
Attachments
intermediate-switch-wiring-diagram-new-colours.jpg

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

by northstream » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:38 am

Nope, connecting the switch live, hot and spare neutral has not worked or been detrimental. Almost at whits end . . .

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

by northstream » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Replaced switch plate and wired up same as before, however this appears as one way on the back as opposed to one way/two way on the old one. Middle light always works, side lights don't. Almost ready to get electrician.....

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:12 pm

I admire your efforts, but due to your lack of understanding and even basic test equipment, I would suggest it is time you called a competent person.

northstream
Apprentice
Apprentice

by northstream » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm going to try two more things tomorrow. Start fresh and wire as per chriscba and see if it makes any difference with a particular neutral. Second, open the ceiling a little and see if a set of wires hasn't recessed in the ceiling. Everything is pointing to a lack of return for the side lights. The centre light works fine, but the side lights do not. Either there is a missing neutral, or there is a disconnection of a neutral.

I even went so far as to replace the switch and removed one of the side lights to check if it worked in the centre of the room (it did). So, it's not the switch plate or the alternative lamps.

PS-have contactless voltage detector, multimeter and purchased some BS6004 cable today so I can check continuity of the wiring on the side walls.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:02 pm

My advice? Throw the contact less indicator in the bin, learn how a multi meter works, learn the correct terminology (So you do not cause miss-understanding)

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 am