wiring of electric oven

Postby diy rob » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:28 pm

I am about to fit our new kitchen, the old one I put in over 12 years ago and the oven simply pluged into a 13amp socket with never any problems. I am being told the new oven which has a total connected load of 2.8 KG will need to be hard wired,? Can anyone confirm if I would still be able to plug it into the same 13amp socket.? If not whats involved in order to hard wire.?
diy rob
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:37 pm

Presume you mean 2.8 kWatts?, if so this equates to 12.17 Amps so should work on 13A socket...
If more then you need a dedicated circuit which comes under part p rules and you need to read the projects section ref. part p & decide on cost effectiveness of trying to DIY against G S I (get someone in)
Regards SPARX
sparx

Postby diy rob » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:25 am

Many thanks Sparx for your fast reply. :lol: Rob
diy rob
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby diy rob » Wed May 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Just about to order the new oven (Neff No B1422). Although reading that it is 2.8KW we have also read somewhere on a web site that the model in question needs a 16amp fuse?
Would this now mean that it will need to run direct from the consumer board (HARD WIRED)? or can I still run off a 13amp fused isolation switch or can I put a higher fuse in the switch?.
diy rob
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby sparx » Wed May 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi Rob, 2800w divided by 230v = 12.17A.....
16A is continental socket type, Neff is Continental make so not Anglesised in hand book, run off 13A fused connection unit as better connection than plug & socket, no probs. regards SPARX
sparx

Postby diy rob » Thu May 17, 2007 6:11 am

Hi sparx. Again thanks for your fast reply. I will ask now what may seem to be a daft question . Reguarding changing for the fused isolation switch. "Can I still plug into the socket under the counter top and connect the oven to that with a 13 amp plug once that is in place."?
I'm trying to cut down the need to pull tiles off and change wires ect.

Again. "Many thanks"!

Rob.
diy rob
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby sparx » Fri May 18, 2007 12:28 am

Yes but make sure all wires properly in plug & TIGHT, as close to max load, regards SPARX
sparx

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!