Wiring Strip Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris7700
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring Strip Light

by chris7700 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a slight problem and wondered if anyone could help!

I have just brought a new strip light to put up in the garage. There are existing wires which i intend to use.

I need some help identifying the wires, there 3 x cables each with black, red and copper wires.

1 x cable is from main fuse box, 1 x cable is from the switch and 1 x cable is coming from house (i think is a return).

The strip light is pretty basic.It has a connector block for Neutral, live and earth wires.

Can anyone help me in wiring this light up.

Thank you in advance.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Chris:
You'll need some yellow and green pvc sleeving for bare copper CPC(earth) cables, some Brown PVC sleeving fro switch return and plastic connection bloke

Step 1) Isolate circuit
Step 2) Bare copper cables, cover with yellow&green sleeve leaving enough bare copper to terminate together at earth terminal on light fitting.
Step 3) The three reds connected together in plastic connection block(with nothing else)
Step 4) Two black neutrals to neutral terminal on fitting
Step 5) The Switch return black cable that is left, should have a length of brown pvc sleeving on it to identify it as a live cable, then connect to live terminal on fitting (with nothing else)
and your ready to go
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:03 pm

is your garage attached or detached?

chris7700
Labourer
Labourer

by chris7700 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:57 am

My garage is attached.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:42 pm

thats ok then!

chris7700
Labourer
Labourer

by chris7700 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks KB
Working ok but the switch does not work and light stays on. I have connected the switch return to the live as you said. i hope this is right, can you advise please.

Thanks everyone Chris

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:07 pm

Sounds like you are putting a live connection straight to light, there is no problem on other lights in house they are functioning correctly?
So from the top
All earths to earth terminal on fitting
All 3 reds in to seperate plastic connection block connected together with nothing else, if no spare connection on fitting (do not use the live terminal on the light fitting this is for switch wire only)
The 2 blacks that come from CU and from the house in the neutral on light fitting.
The remaining black should not be a neutral but be switch wire from your switch, this should be sleeved to identify it and goes to the the live on the fitting, nothing else goes in this terminal other than this wire.
If this does not work reply with what cables you have the terminal points on your fitting and the way your switch is wired up.
KB

chris7700
Labourer
Labourer

strip light

by chris7700 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:48 am

KB,

I understand what your saying! i am making a permanent live connection with joining the switch wire with the 3 red live wires. I have only a plastic connection block with the light which consists of a neutral, earth and live wires. where do i put the 3 red wires. i understand the switch has to either make or break the circuit. please help my missus wants me to get a sparky in.lol
Cheers chris

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:54 pm

You go to a DIY store and buy a plastic connection block(strip) for looping the Lives,
they come in strips and can cut off the required amount when get home.
You only need a single pair to make all lives connected up, then you can wrap two three turns of inslation tape over the connection bloke so nothing can poke in to it and tuck inside the fitting with the rest of the cables.
I did mention this early I'm sure.
KB

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:17 pm