Wiring the shed, advice needed!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Speck1965
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wiring the shed, advice needed!

Post by Speck1965 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi all, need some advice on best way to go about wiring my shed.
Have fitted two sockets and a light and wired them all up to a two way metalclad RCD consumer unit. Now need to make the connection to the house consumer unit. This is the problem. The house has a split load consumer unit but there are no spare ways on the RCD side. I was going to just connect to the main switch side but then I realised that the underground cable would have no RCD protection.
Now I think I must change the consumer unit in the shed to a main switch type, then wire a seperate RCD in the house off the mainswitch side and wire the shed SWA cable to that. Is this method ok? If so, then I will wire the house end of the SWA cable to a metalclad RCD the wire that to the house main switch side of the consumer unit, with maybe 6.0mm T&E. Is this all ok?
Finally, I have heard that having two RCDs on a circuit can cause problems but as my second RCD will be on the main switch side I assume this will be fine?

Help comments and suggestions will be most welcome
Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:08 pm

scary, i'd suggest you get an electrician in all sorts of issues with this project, legal requirements mean that part p should be complied to.
This install will need to be notified if not completed by qualified electrician and inspection and testing schedules and certificate will also be needed.
KB

Speck1965
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Speck1965 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:11 am

Tell me more?

I thought this was a simple connection to the mainboard, just want to know the best way to do it.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:05 am

Due to the legal requirements of building controls, namely document part p, any installation of this type must comply to both part p and BS7671:2008. I suggest you look on the projects page under the heading Part P this will explain in more detail. Once the installation has been completed it then must go through stages of intial inspection and then testing to make sure it complys to guidance note 3, at this time schedules and certificates should be made before the installation is commisioned.
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:10 pm

As KB says any wiring out of doors, or any new circuit, must be done by a registered member of a competent persons scheme even in your own home. By asking the question shows you are not up to date with 17th edition wiring regs. bs 7671-2008
This has been law under 'Part-P' of building regs for the last 4 years.
I had to register before I could do any work in domestic properties even my own although I am a time served leckie of some 40 years!
You are breaking the law unless fees paid first to Local Authority Building Control before starting work.
Therefore we can't encourage unlawful work on the forum.
regards
Sparx

Speck1965
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Speck1965 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:51 am

Can I do any of this myself to save money, i.e, lay the SWA and wire the shed but get an electrician to "commision" the installation and make the connection to the consumer unit?

Yes you are right about my knowledge, I am not a spark, but worked in electrical wholesaling for 12 years. 16th edition regs were what I was more familiar with.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:08 am

By law you can do all the work yourself, you need to notify building controls pay a fee. TheY will inspect the work at stages first and second fix then the installation needs to be tested to assure it complies to BS7671.
It is something i'd recommend you got an electrician on board with.
kb

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi I was about to say the same KB, plus ask a local trusted registered leckie in one of the schemes eg NAPIT,ELECSA,BSI, or even niceic who may well be happy for you to do some of the work, bearing in mind he will be signing to say he has done it all!
regards SPARX

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:10 am