Wiring Two-Way Dimmer Switches With 3rd one way Dummy Dimmer Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

Carnegie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wiring Two-Way Dimmer Switches With 3rd one way Dummy Dimmer Switch

by Carnegie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:37 pm

I have had to replace a two-way dimmer switch within a switch box (in kitchen) containing another two-way dimmer and a one-way dummy dimmer - somehow I have ended up with a wiring problem (my fault!). The dummy dimmer operates under cupboard lights and they switch on/off ok. One of the two way dimmers also operates fine from both the kitchen & hall switches. However, when the replacement middle dimmer is turned on from 2nd switch (in hall) the light will not turn off from the kitchen dimmer switch. If, however, the light is switched off in the hall, the dimmer switch operates ok. I'm pretty sure I have a wire in the wrong place.

Currently it is wired, as follows:

Dimmer 1. Brown & black to L1, Grey to L2 with linking brown to L2 of 2nd dimmer, Brown to 'C'

Dimmer 2. Brown & Black to L1, Grey to L2 with linking brown back to L2 of 1st dimmer, Brown from L2 to 'C' of 3rd Dummy dimmer

Dimmer 3 (Dummy). Brown to L1, Brown to 'C' with linking Brown to L2 of 2nd dimmer

Dimmer 2 is the problem dimmer!

Can anyone point out my error, please - many thanks

It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:06 am