Wood Burning Stoves - Replace Existing Gas Fire With Wood Burner
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Wood Burning Stoves - Replace Existing Gas Fire With Wood Burner

by greengrass » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Ok so the title on the forum list was heating now changed to Central heating on entering to add my question. Well the chimney is in the middle of the bungalow so can't get anymore central that that, there's a start.

'Er in doors' wants a wood burner I said it looks like £1000 total if needing new liner. She said rubbish! I can't print my reply.

Oh why god did I pick this one, why? I know I haven't been to your clubs but lets face it you never went to ours either !

Formerly fitted with a gas fire and is lined with a proper liner which looks about 6" and sound. I have been searching wood burners and find the flues are 5" and its advised that a 5" flue is not fitted into a 6" liner.

Q: does this mean I will have to have the chimney relined? or is their a reducer plate to combat the difference in size?
Many thanks. a merry Christmas and happy new year to all including forum staff. (crawler!! who said that?)

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Wood Burning Stoves - Replace Existing Gas Fire With Wood Burner

by proptech » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:49 am

Hi greengrass
Love your humour!
Wood burners are not really 'my thing' but as far as I'm aware they are subject to strict building regs control. The easiest way round this would be to employ a registered installer who would certify the job.
Why not get a 'no obligation' quote or two.
The other thing worth bearing in mind, is that no doubt you will have to provide extra ventilation to the room direct from outside, you may have had to have this anyway for the gas fire.
That's about all I know, unless it's the type you have in the garden, and cook burgers on.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Wood Burning Stoves - Replace Existing Gas Fire With Wood Burner

by greengrass » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks proptech will do that see what prices come up.
As for wood burning for burgers in the garden, no need I rile 'er in doors' up and her hot breath does the cooking.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1