Wood Flooring Fitter
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blastwave2k4
Labourer
Labourer

Wood Flooring Fitter

by blastwave2k4 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend an experienced fitter for wood flooring. I'm looking to lay an engineered oak wood floor in a new home (ground floor only).

Also what sort of thing should I look out for in choosing a fitter, are there any trade bodies they may belong to for example? Can a builder do the job just as well?

Finally if anyone would like to fire off some prices for fitting and materials per square metre that would be helpful as I look for good value.

Your comments much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Martin

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:05 am

"Can anyone recommend an experienced fitter for wood flooring."

Yes but here is not an appropriate place and I don't know where you are.

"Also what sort of thing should I look out for in choosing a fitter, are there any trade bodies they may belong to for example?"

Most of these so called trade bodies are little more than clubs which, having paid the subscription, entitle you to say " I belong so so-and-so". Get recommendations. Invite 3 round to quote. You'll soon get a feel of who a) knows whathe is talking about and b) is trustworthy.

"Can a builder do the job just as well?"

Probably he'll just sub it out and take his percentage off the top.

"Finally if anyone would like to fire off some prices for fitting and materials per square metre that would be helpful as I look for good value."

My local shop uses fitters that charge £ 25.00 per sqm. Is that good value? How do you measure "good value"? Cheap doesn't necessarilly mean good.

Cheers

blastwave2k4
Labourer
Labourer

by blastwave2k4 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:36 pm

Good point. I'm in south west london.

I agree, it's not all about the lowest price, but it's helpful to have an idea of the sort of prices people charge. I have had quotes of £60 psqm to fit, which seemed steep.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:36 pm

"I have had quotes of £60 psqm to fit, which seemed steep."

Steep! - if thats labour only its positively vertical.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:46 pm